Written by Florence Nthamba
Evergreen content is Search Engine Optimization (SEO) content that is timeless, stays fresh and will always be relevant for readers.
Evergreen content is considered sustainable and lasting more like the way evergreen trees maintain their leaves green all year around.
How to Identify Evergreen Content
To come up with content that is considered evergreen, you have to be in a position to understand and identify articles and types of stories that are not considered evergreen. Examples of this include;
- Statistics and numerical reports – These articles may be outdated or become irrelevant with time.
- News articles – These articles on many occasions deal with timeliness. Their importance is linked to their historical context and for public record.
- Pieces on specific holidays or seasons – These articles are usually not evergreen. However, if they are general enough, searches for these holidays may be applicable for your website during those times.
- Articles on current trends and pop culture – Trends come and go. Same applies to pop culture. They change with time.
Examples of Evergreen Content include;
- ‘How to’ articles (e.g. how to prepare chapati)– Detailed concise tutorials with captivating photos are great evergreen projects
- Tips and tricks (e.g. Top tips to apply makeup) – Generations to come from now, there will be that person who will find these tips still important. Simple laid out tips will still hold value to a clueless person when it comes to make up.
- Creative ideas (e.g. 10 inventive ways to prepare rice) – Can you imagine rice not being part of your diet?
Why you should Write Evergreen Content
- Search Engine Ranking
Long after you have published your articles on your blog, evergreen articles tend to remain relevant after its initial date. Over time these articles tend to rank well in search engines especially if they were optimized through inclusion of keywords relevant to content and chosen audience.
- Blog Traffic
Every blogger wants to have traffic. What better way to get it than through evergreen articles? The higher your blog search engine ranking, the more traffic you are likely to attract.
Tips for Writing Evergreen Content
- Simple Does It
Keep your content simple and easy to understand. Evergreen content is meant for beginners. Avoid jargons as it is definitely a major turn off. Avoid coming across as a scholar.
- Interlink Posts
Link topics that are related to each other. This helps with SEO and also assist readers to solve specific needs while at the same time guiding them to more relevant articles
- Write a comprehensive Evergreen Content
Try to elaborate on the topic while at the same time, strategically insert keywords for SEO purposes. Content that is well written and it’s useful and has clarity, will always engage a reader.
- Always Update
There is always something new cropping up. For example, after publishing an article of ‘how to’ do something and then you discover new information on the alternative of what you had recommended earlier. You can simply delete the dated information and update it with the new one.
An update on an evergreen information encourages readers who seek new information to visit your site and it helps in SEO in terms of ranking factor on Google content freshness
- Advertise On the Right Social Media Platform
You have come with the best evergreen article. What next? Market your content on other social media platforms. Or you can link them to your most popular posts or in cooperate them as related articles after readers reading something similar.
- Always ensure your evergreen content is mobile – friendly
Statistically, many people use their mobile devices to access the web. By ensuring that your evergreen content is mobile friendly your increasing traffic opportunity that could have otherwise been lost.
Evergreen content is worth investing in. Trends come and go but this kind of content is timeless and will always remain relevant. In the long run it will pay off big time.
This post was written by Florence Kimuyu.