- Give us a brief profile of yourself.
My name is Agnes Opondo. I am a creative writer at my personal blog agitah.co.ke and also an entertainment writer at kenyanvibe.com. I have been writing for over 4 years now and I love memes too hehehe!
- Share something interesting about yourself
I can sing very well. Currently signed to Bathroom Records Inc. just waiting to be signed to Beyonce’s record label.
- What attracted/inspired you into blogging
For a long time, I was looking for a vent for the many voices and ideas in my head. Writing provided just the best avenue to channel out my thoughts, and so far so good. It is very rewarding, I must say.
- What is the name of your blog and what is it about?
My blog is agitah.co.ke. It is largely a collection of pieces on my thoughts, my love for my family, letters to my late father and a few fiction stories. I write mainly to entertain and at times, to rant.
- You could have written about anything, why this niche specifically?
I write mostly about things that happen to me on a daily basis and it is easier to talk about what I go through. My blog posts are about almost anything that I experience e.g. Drama in a matatu that I boarded, stories about my upbringing, my days as university student etc. Those stories come more naturally for me making them authentic narrations.
- What accomplishments are you proud of most?
Well…..I would say that I am proud of the readership that my writing has amassed over time. Starting out was very difficult because I really battled many bouts of self-doubt. So it is the simple things like the comments that readers share on and off the blog site that make me so proud to be a writer.
- If you could sit down with your 13-year-old self, what would you tell her?
I would tell her that many things won’t pan out as planned but she will be just fine.
- If you had to describe yourself in three words, what would they be?
Creative, funny, and intelligent
- If you could time travel, where would you go?
I would go back to the days when my father was alive just to spend some time with him. Words are not even enough to describe how much I miss him.
- What is the weirdest food combination you have ever tried?
Let’s just say that I am not that experimental with food. So I don’t have any weird food combinations that comes to mind at the moment.
- If you were not a blogger, what would you be instead? Do you have a day job?
I would be a singer. Yes I have a day job.
- Of all the posts you have ever written, which one is your favourite? Why?
A fiction story called Nice Girls Never Made History. I love it because it really showed me my potential in fiction writing. I have really struggled with fiction stories but the reviews that this article got were very encouraging plus I also really enjoyed writing it.
- What is the most difficult thing you ever had to do?
Working in a job that I didn’t love just to be able to pay my bills
14. Who is the most influential person in your life and why?
They are many but I would say, my late father, he was a storyteller too. I learnt how to tell stories from him.
15. Besides blogging, what else do you do? What is your obsession?
I sing in the shower hohoho! I also make DIY crafts for my budding home décor business called Ragama Home Décor. I am obsessed with music and showbiz so entertainment writing is what I do to cater to that obsession.
- What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?
My mum once told me, ‘Take life as it comes.’
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Writing full-time on fun topics like entertainment, film, showbiz, etc. And having lots of money because surviving in Kanairo is not cheap man!
- Is there a quote/mantra you live by?
Inauma lakini itabidi uzoee. OK… I am kidding. My mantra is ‘Nothing beats fam time.’
- If you would be a superhero, who would you be and why?
I don’t have a specific favourite superhero. But I would love to have a superpower of reading people’s minds. Humans are sketchy at times and sometimes you can’t know their true thoughts.
- What lessons have you learned the most from 2020 and how do you plan to make a difference?
It is very important to save money and have proper fiscal plans. Gratitude was also another important lesson that 2020 taught me. I plan to have a better relationship with money.
- What is your greatest achievement?
Being alive man! Life is so hard at times. Waking up every day to face the day’s challenges, that is one big achievement
- What are some of the changes in the blogsphere between now and when you started out?
More and more writers are coming up. When I started, I had fewer blogs to look up to but right now, there are loads of amazing bloggers who are putting out great content. It is also great to see that now I can use my blog to get writing gigs unlike when I started out.
- Advice to the budding blogger
Keep writing, keep sharing. It gets better with time, trust me.