Content creators on Facebook and Instagram are soon going to be smiling all the way to the bank thanks to an announcement by the social network’s Chief Executive Officer Mark Zuckerberg, to pay them up to $1 billion all through 2022.
Through a post on his Facebook page on Wednesday, Zuckerberg detailed several incentives along with the objectives his company had for content creators.
“We want to build the best platforms for millions of creators to make a living, so we’re creating new programs to invest over $1 billion to reward creators for great content they create on Facebook and Instagram through 2022,” Zuckerberg said.
“Investing in creators isn’t new for us, but I’m excited to expand this work over time,” he added
This comes against the backdrop of a lot of competition from emerging content powerhouses such as TikTok, Apple, and Twitch and the CEO is eager to attract creators on FB as well.
Zuckerberg has talked about revenue in the recent past as well and last month he was emphatic that Facebook had no plans to not take a cut revenue from creators who make money on its platforms until 2023.
“When we do introduce a revenue share, it will be less than the 30% that Apple and others take,” he said in a June 7 post.
Facebook had also announced some programs to help content creators earn money on Instagram and among these are marketplaces where creators and certain brands will be paired up in an effort to see them reach more customers and shops that will let content creators sell goods directly via their Instagram profiles
“From artists to style experts and budding entertainers, creators drive so much of the passion and creativity we see across our apps. As we continue building creative tools like Live Audio Rooms and Bulletin, as well as monetization products like Stars and affiliate, we also want to reward creators, especially those who are just starting out, for creating content their communities love,” said FB in a statement
According to Facebook, there will also be new bonus programs that pay eligible creators for hitting certain milestones when they use their creative and monetization tools.
“We’ll also provide seed funding for creators to produce their content. Our goal is to help as many creators as possible find sustainable, long-term success on our apps,” read another part of the statement.
Facebook has also introduced new bonus programs that will reward a wide variety of creators for sharing great content that people enjoy. Bonuses will also help creators understand which content performs best for them.
“Bonus programs will be seasonal, evolving and expanding over time. While some bonus programs are already available to select creators by invitation, such as our Badges and Stars Challenges, we will launch a dedicated place for bonuses within the Instagram app this summer, and in the Facebook app in the fall, where creators can learn about bonuses available to them,” said Facebook
Bonuses Available Now
The first bonus opportunities on Facebook, available by invitation now, help creators earn more while learning how to create content that can be monetized.
- In-Stream bonus pays an earnings bonus over the next four months to select video creators using in-stream ads.
- Starsbonus: We’re expanding our Stars Challenges program to include select gaming creators. Participating video and gaming creators will receive a monthly bonus for hitting specific Stars milestones over the next three months.
On Instagram, the first bonuses will be available by invitation and will reward creators for signing up for IGTV ads and using badges in Live and Reels:
- TheIGTV ads bonus, available now to creators in the US, allows creators to earn a one-time bonus for signing up for IGTV ads, which enables them to earn a share of revenue when ads run during their videos.
- The badges in Live bonus, available now to creators in 11 countries, rewards creators when they meet certain milestones with badges, such as going Live with another account.
- The Reels Summer bonus, launching in the coming weeks to creators in the US, will pay creators for creating great Reelscontent on Instagram. Creators can find the Reels summer bonus in the new Bonuses section of the Instagram app and will earn based on how their reels perform.
We plan to roll out more bonus programs between now and the end of the year.
Approach to Bonus Programs
Facebook is keen to be transparent as it develops these programs so it’s clear to creators where and how they can earn. To do so, they will follow a set of principles to guide how bonus programs distribute the investment:
- Authentic: Designed to reward creators who are creating original and high-quality content that people enjoy.
- Attainable: Developed to support creators of all sizes across a wide range of verticals, with earning opportunities for a variety of content on our apps.
- Simple and Actionable: Easy-to-understand requirements that creators can take action on to help them grow their businesses.
Creators in all bonus programs must comply with our Partner Monetization Policies.
To express interest in and sign up to learn more about both our monetization products and bonus programs on Facebook, visit Monetization Tools on Facebook for Creators. Creators on Instagram can learn more in the Bonuses section of the app, which will be available in the coming weeks.
“This investment brings together our many programs and initiatives across the company that support creators and enable them to earn a sustainable income on our apps. It complements our growing suite of monetization tools – earning ad revenue through in-stream and IGTV ads; fan support via Badges, Stars, fan subscriptions and paid online events; partnering with brands via branded content and affiliate; and creator shopping tools,”
Content creators should expect more details on individual programs, including eligibility and how to apply, as they become available.